Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Combat System and Mechanics  (Read 31441 times)
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:31:41 AM »

Another difference would be (I think) that you would have to aim once (one AP investment) and could use this aiming for multiple shots (at least if the target doesn't move).

Not sure if this is what zenbitz has in mind - It's what I think is a mechanic in Jagged Alliance 2.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:09 AM »

Sure... that's OK.  What kind of target just sits there while you shoot at it though?

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »

Can we agree on that there should be aimed shots in combat?
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »

Can we agree on that there should be aimed shots in combat?
You mean that one can aim at certain body parts?

Or that there is aiming and shooting as separate actions?
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

I'm trying to keep things simple at the moment so the statement in this form just says that there should be an aimed shots feature. It does not say how these aimed shots will worked from a ruleset point of view.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 03:46:01 PM »

I'm trying to keep things simple at the moment so the statement in this form just says that there should be an aimed shots feature. It does not say how these aimed shots will worked from a ruleset point of view.
Huh how is this supposed to be useful? how to agree on something that is not defined at all but just has a name?  Undecided
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »

That's the idea of small steps. Let me give an example. We might not agree on how turn-based combat should work implementation wise. There are bunch of possible alternatives, listed here:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Zenbitz:Combat_System_Thoughts#Sequencing_and_Turns_-_Different_options

However we can actually agree on that there should be some sort of turn-based combat :-)

The same could be said about other mechanics. E.g. it might be tricky to say how lockpicking should work from a ruleset point of view but we could agree that there should be locks and there should be ways to open these locks. With this kind of workflow we can often work around detailed implementation questions and rather focus on the feature aspect before going into detail work to flesh out how these features actually work. Makes sense to me but I'm open to all kind of proposals how this could be done in a different way.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:36:20 PM by mvBarracuda » Logged
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »

YES, I think "aiming" should be implemented as an alternative to "standard" or even "wild" attacks

Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »

the difference would be precisely that you could get shot between aiming and shooting
aah, enlightement. Sounds reasonable to be able to interfere aiming.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »

In ranged combat, is reloading involved, or you have ammo in your inventory and the PC just 'takes from the pile' like you spend money at a merchants ?

zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »

I see two ways to do this.  We will probaby use both, depending on the weapon.

One:  Have reload as a separate action (pop a clip in a pistol) - or series of actions (for a blackpowder musket or crossbow).  Regular bows also.

Two: Merge the reload step into the firing action (i.e, a pump-action shotgun, or bolt action rifle) - you fire then put another round in the chamber.  These weapons would effectively have lower rate of fire than an autoloading weapon (which have a still lower rate from a burst-fire, which have a STILL lower rate than a "full automatic" weapon).

You do not want to be in a situation where you have to load bullets INTO a clip during combat...

Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 08:57:02 PM »

would crouching/crawling be in the game ?
that would add to the Tactical (pun intended) side of the combat (ducking behind cover).
Situations when confronting enemies could be made more interesting with these featured when the enemy NPCs are positioned so that the environment is to their advantage.

I guess the question is also aimed at the artists dealing with the sprites and animation; this would mean two or three times more work depending whether both non-standing stances would be included or only one.
eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

One:  Have reload as a separate action (pop a clip in a pistol) - or series of actions (for a blackpowder musket or crossbow).  Regular bows also.

It never bothered me having to reload clips in games like fallout.  It adds a bit of strategy.  I think it would get annoying if you had to perform multiple actions in a series to reload.  I'm not saying is shouldn't take a long time to reload a musket, just that i want to issue the command to reload once, and the character does the rest... unless possibly he gets interrupted

You do not want to be in a situation where you have to load bullets INTO a clip during combat...

Agreed... but, like Fallout, i don't think the game needs to every have clips without bullets.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 12:44:01 AM »

It never bothered me having to reload clips in games like fallout.  It adds a bit of strategy.  I think it would get annoying if you had to perform multiple actions in a series to reload.  I'm not saying is shouldn't take a long time to reload a musket, just that i want to issue the command to reload once, and the character does the rest... unless possibly he gets interrupted

Agreed - we need support for multi turn actions (although APs handle this but require interrupt mechanism).

Agreed... but, like Fallout, i don't think the game needs to every have clips without bullets.

Please restate that... I think I can guess, but it makes no sense as written.

eleazzaar
Community member

attempting lucidity

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 01:08:45 AM »

Please restate that... I think I can guess, but it makes no sense as written.

Bah.  Typos where i write a legitimate, but wrong, word keep slipping past me.

In FO bullets they were presented to you in groups, i.e. clips.  You never had to deal with loose bullets or empty clips.  Such streamlining is IMHO a good thing.

If a character had 105 bullets and that type of ammo came in 10-clips, i believe that the player would alway be presented with 11 clips (10 full. 1 half full), no matter how many times he had replaced half-used clips.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: