Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: The Concept Art and Ideas Thread  (Read 49569 times)
Kukkakaali
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2009, 05:28:14 AM »

Dont forget to draw buildings and terrain also, althougt its often more interesting than the same old character models.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:08:06 PM by Kukkakaali » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

The female one is done. Here's a raider. Don't know what the protunding spikes in JustinOperable concept were meant to be, so the thing is a work in progress. The small shot is just to give an idea as usual. Garments colours are easy to change. C&C welcome, I need to know if I'm in the right direction or a road correction is to be made.

* Raider.PNG (48.91 KB, 205x277 - viewed 644 times.)
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 08:47:44 AM »

Generally, looks nice. Although I would add some more detail to the raider's coat (looks too empty). And those spikes don't look good on the smaller model (more like a mutated arm).
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »

I think you're right, probably the claw (and pauldron) should be huger. Since at least a part of the clothing should be hand made - and customized -  I was thinking about adding a sort of colourful embroidery to many characters garments. The point is: what is the player actually going to see? Well, time to experiment. See you.

Edit: Lighting setup isn't ready yet, but this guy was cut to exact size...

* Default_Pass_Main.1.png (18.29 KB, 220x220 - viewed 619 times.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:28:41 PM by Sirren » Logged
egalor
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Looks much better! Good job.

Comments:

- add some embroidery, dirt stains, scratches, folds to the winter coat - to make it look more naturally worn (and less plastic);
- left shoulder pauldron should be considerably darker and scratched;
- try to put skiing glasses on his head.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »

I completely agree with you about the fact that this sprite is too clean..
Two points I must work on:
A) Character props: more belts, pouches, maybe a back pack. And some details like the pouldron should be huger.
B) Textures: I hoped to be able to make with it procedural textures. Apparently I'll have to hand paint clothings folders, which isn't much fun.
Probably this character textures are too bright as well, but I'm still working on the lighting setup.

Important:
All .PNGs files made with xsi seem to brighten a lot when zoomed in - I'm talking about final renders, not the black/gray background previews I posted up to now. Do you get this same result too when clicking on the last sprite I posted? Since FIFE allows the player to zoom in this could pose a problem.
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2009, 02:43:48 PM »

It's likely that we won't allow zooming in, at least not beyond 1:1 zoom scale. That's how Unknown Horizons (a FIFE-based strategy game in the making) handles it: they allow zooming out and you can zoom in again, but not beyond 1:1 zoom scale. This way you can avoid ugly pixels.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2009, 02:53:05 PM »

Thanks, it's good to know.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »

Shameless bump  Grin
Another w.i.p. for you. Well, it seems I have more spare time than it's healthy for me...
This time it's JustinOperable's female rider. The gal still needs a scarf and her ponytail, then I'll start texturing.
See you.

* Female_Raider_I.PNG (59.69 KB, 372x645 - viewed 614 times.)

* Female_Raider_II.PNG (54.58 KB, 373x662 - viewed 605 times.)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 04:24:15 AM »

Looking good - keep it coming!

Science is open-source religion
Zimble
Community member

GMT+1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »

Oh, nice. Wish I could model such organic stuff... no wait... im more the cube guy Wink

Is there already a decision made how clothes and items on the char can be handled (by fife)?
I ask because this poor women is grown together with her bagpack  Wink

Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:40 PM »

Well, the backpack thingie happens becouse shoulder straps go through the jacket fur collar. I didn't edit it becouse I don't know if I'm keeping it in the end model.
Engine handling hasn't been decided yet.
We don't know yet how many sprites (garments or armour) playing character will have. Temperature will be extremely important in game, so probably PC/NPCs look will be dictated by clothing and not by armour.. Well, just my guess..
Other than that if we're going to have layered sprites then we'll have customizable look à la Diablo. If we're going to have single layer sprites than you'll have a standard look à la Fallout/Jagged Alliance. This hasn't been decided yet, I feel the second option is more probable. Please ask to the general design departement, I know this has been discussed.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »

Another shameless bump.. And another finished model. I thought this was going to fast and easy becouse I had a base model. I had to rework the model. My lighting set up isn't ready yet, so these are just glimpses of what's coming.
I know we're supposed to be able to work without much support/critiques.. I'm trying to establish a style, so to speack.
Enjoy.

* Female_Raider_III.PNG (16.21 KB, 297x322 - viewed 622 times.)

* Female_Raider_IV.PNG (14.79 KB, 248x311 - viewed 590 times.)

* Female_Raider_V.PNG (116.24 KB, 390x647 - viewed 610 times.)
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 03:14:04 AM »

She's almost good to go. As you say, the lighting set-up needs some work, she looks a bit shiny and clean.

Science is open-source religion
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »

I do agree with you. I tinkered with ambient occlusion, tweacked a couple of textures and now she looks better.
The main difficulty with my lighting setup lies in shadow angle. I couldn't adapt Blender settings it to XSI up to now (light tipes are different by the way), and shadow angle always was my nemesis..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to: