Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Concept Art and Ideas Thread  (Read 44312 times)
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 09:41:12 AM »

Hello JustinOperable, and welcome on board.
I like it, and expecially the female character. More, please.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »

Yeh, looks good to me! more of this please, especially if you can clean it up for the computer (i.e. add colour etc...)

Science is open-source religion
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »

Here's a quick coloration of the female. Hope you guys like it.

Edit: I've added some quick silhouettes of raiders. Basically, the idea behind silhouettes is to work out a number of different gestures, shapes and to help me get a feel for the shape design of the characters. Let me know which ones you guys like and I can flesh them out into drawings.

* PARPGFemale.jpg (23.93 KB, 255x476 - viewed 529 times.)

* RaiderSilhouettes.jpg (26.38 KB, 655x287 - viewed 512 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:05:13 PM by JustinOperable » Logged
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »

A) The female character: I like it more and more... Usually when modelling we use a front and a side orthographics shots for reference. This is not mandatory though. Human reference to model upon can be acquired through various means. In short: if you're low on time your sketch is good enough. We simply need someone to say: "Mine!".
B) Your silohuettes: Err.. I'd say I like all of them except for the second from the left. Only one remark: keep in mind that in game most of the time the average temperature will be around -20/-40 degrees. Characters aren't going to look too slim.
Keep up the good work.
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »

I would be willing to do a turnaround for any character that developers want to model for inclusion in the game, but I was just sketching so wasn't too worried about the forms being perfect. I'm more just trying to fish out the style of the characters. I'll do sketches of the silhouettes you liked and post them when I'm done. If you guys end up wanting the female character to be redrawn for modeling, I can do that, just let me know.

Edit: I did some quick sketches over a few of the silhouettes. They're real rough. The form is not terribly strong but they get the point across. Let me know what you think. The first one is sort of a generic raider, the second I sort of envision as tribal raider chieftain, drawing up images of the horned man of the forest. The third is a female raider, her costuming isn't entirely established, but I'm think she has sashes or a tutu with a mongolian looking tops with those fur protrusions. Let me know what you like and don't like and what I can do.

* Raider1.jpg (45.94 KB, 600x800 - viewed 552 times.)

* Raider2.jpg (61.72 KB, 600x800 - viewed 531 times.)

* Raider3.jpg (46.19 KB, 600x800 - viewed 521 times.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 01:00:39 AM by JustinOperable » Logged
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 04:12:59 AM »

Your artwork is good. Maybe the head of the girl in the last picture is a little small but that's just a small nit-pick (like you say they are a bit rough).

Just one point, and it's not really to do with the art as such, but I think the idea is 20 years after a nuclear war, so it's possible that the population have some high-tech stuff left over. The sketches so far look a little too low-tech for me - what I'll thinking of is more touches like the first guys gas-mask. Overall though, excellent!

Science is open-source religion
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »

Folks, I'm giving the female character a try in xsi. I hope I'll be able to show something in a few days. See you.
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 10:13:26 PM »

Sirren. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'll have some more work soon.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 11:01:42 PM »

Hello JustinOperable. Well, I don't think you can help me further with this character. As you can see I'm roughing out forms. This character IS going to have a gown. The point is I haven't a clear idea about how I'm going to rig it, I never did it before. I think I could try a quick and dirty cloth simulation, so I think  the gown will be a single piece mesh, probably either a cloth patchwork or a simple cow hide. The legs geometry will be used as a base for a sort of conforming cloth.
See you and have a nice Sunday.

EDIT: VERY handy this kind of image attachement  Grin

EDIT part II: Still unfinished, some crude texturing going on. Comments and critiques are welcome.
See you

* F_Civilian.PNG (90.67 KB, 347x465 - viewed 503 times.)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:06:24 PM by Sirren » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 12:46:48 PM »

Nice work Justin and Sirren :-) I'll cover Justin's concept art at the blog today.

The models looks good to me as well Sirren; if you don't mind, I'll add that one to the blog as well.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 01:43:50 PM »

Sure, I don't mind at all  Grin
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »

Great, just posted the updated and included some of Justin's drawings as well as your render of the WIP model:
http://blog.parpg.net/2009/04/from-sketch-to-model/
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 06:23:38 PM »

Hey everyone. I was approached a while back about doing some concept work.
I like this very much!
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

whoa, people have been busy   Cheesy
awesome new stuff here

---

I'm busy in RL now myself, so I haven't been able to be active here for some time now.
Sky sort of opened up and things started happening all at once - I guess it's a good enough moment to cut out the excuses and point out the obvious - that I'm going to stay busy 'til further notice Shocked
sucks a*s I say, I'd love to contribute

you guys keep up the good work ! I'll stay tuned and drop a comment here and there
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »

New model and textures. I'm trying to establish a base mes and blah blah. As soon as I'm done with this one I'll give a try to all the three riders. The small shot is there just to give a rough idea about what players will see. No lighting, no real ortho view, full AA on...

* J_O_Character.PNG (57.93 KB, 274x385 - viewed 542 times.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to: