Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Portfolio - Mark P  (Read 6087 times)
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »

Hello, I've always followed the FIFE progress that was posted on GameDev and have always loved games like the Fallout series, Syndicate and the UFO/XCOM series (Terror from the deep being amazing). I've just noticed the help wanted post on Gamedev and couldn't ignore it.

If the game art is going to be in 3D then I can offer a great deal of advanced knowledge and help. I use SVN and have experience with Matis Bug Tracker also. You can view my portfolio here: www.blacktreeuk.net

I hope to hear back from you soon and I hope I can help where I can  Smiley

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:58:37 PM by Gaspard » Logged
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »

Yep, art is planned to be rendered 2d images of actual 3d models. What kind of modeling software are you familiar with? Just checked your portfolio and I'm really impressed. Looks like you got a hand for weapon modeling. I'm pretty sure that our graphics expert will reply to this thread as well, prolly bringing up some more questions and giving you some additional pointers :-)

One important point though: the project is a voluntary open source undertaking so everyone works for free on it and we can't pay any monetary compensation. If you don't mind these conditions and would like to work on this project to use it as a portfolio piece or as way to gain some additional game development experience, we're really looking forward to get you involved.
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »

Cheers Mv

I use Maya but I'm familiar with Max as well, I'm not really that bothered about working towards my portfolio now and I'm very happy to work bird seeds. I just want to help if I can because I think a European Fallout style game will be a hell of alot of fun to work on (I was a massive fan of Stalker....despite it's rough edges and it's flaws - the atmosphere was amazing). Lots of dodgy decrepit soviet power plants, bleak snowy landscapes and a hissing giger counter...it all sounds good to me.

I was working on an Xcom style zombie game but sadly the code side of things fell through...so now I have alot of time on my hands and I'm looking for a new project to throw myself into.

Well thanks for the speedy reply and I look foward to hearing from your main artist there.
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »

Hello, it's the main artist here Smiley Welcome to the forums.

Your portfolio shows you have nice skills to make valuable contributions to this project. However, at this early stage of development we can't really give you any work assignments. There are certain things we will need to define first, to make it all work properly, the production pipeline is one of those things. Seeing how this is a hobby project, I can only invest limited time into it, so I don't expect to answer most of the big questions after march, when I'll have more time on my hands.

The goal is to make a general guide/pipeline on how artists coming from different applications can all contribute to this project with as much ease as possible. Right now there are 3 artists showing interest and we already have 3 different applications to include into the pipeline: Blender, XSI and Maya, with Blender being the main application.

One additional and very important thing to consider is the open nature of the project. Models, textures, animations should be freely available to any future contributor to reuse and produce new things for the project. This requires that the source files themselves of the art assets are available to any artist working on any application. Models and textures won't be hard to use in all applications, but it will get problematic with animations. Also, we will have to synchronise rendering between all of these applications, so that the final sprite output fits together as much as it can (or find an alternative)

Many questions, many possibilities - if I continue talking right now it'll be only speculation. We'll know more once we really get to work in this field. Hopefully what I wrote here isn't discouraging Smiley it's simply how things are after 25 days of this project's life Smiley I prefer to take time and do things right, than to watch demotivated artists with no proper assignments and general confusion in this field.

regards
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »

Nah that sounds great Lamoot. I've ran many game projects in the past (some successful, some not so successful) and the sharing of art files among the team can always be problomatic over different packages. .OBJ is fine for static meshes but animated skeletons can be a problem like what you said. I've even had problems with sending FBX animated models to other programs so that isn't even a %100 valid solution to it.

I understand the early stage of the development and I can happily sit in the sidelines and wait for a while, actually its ideal as I'm moving into a new house so I'll probably be out of contact for a while until the net is switched on.

If it will all be pre-rendered 3D it may be worth setting up a render scene on someone's computer, so all models get placed in that render scene to get batched out for the game engine (it would sort out any render discrepancies that could occure from models coming from multiple machines - lighting, positioning ect). But No doubt you have ideas about how this will be handled anyway Lamoot.

Well thanks for the heads up and if I can offer any advice or help then let me know. Cheers.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »

Welcome Mark -

Nice work!  I like the diner.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

ah that was a VERY very old Doom3 project, quite a dusty one now  Tongue
marcus
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »

Just a little model I'm playing around with at the moment .... I'm no character artist and its MILES from finished but I think it displays my current character modelling skills...seing as I have evry little character work on my site at the moment.

[ignore that horrible seam down the center, it's just a mirror line]

cheers.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: