Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Concept Art and Ideas Thread  (Read 44293 times)
icelus
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:44:21 PM »

Quote from: icelus
Original post: I can't draw, but I thought I might start a thread of ideas for concept art for PARPG (since I read in the logs we might have some soon).

- A snow globe with a ruined city inside, against a black background (fragility of earth, nuclear winter, etc).

Just an idea.
edit:

ATTENTION: Post all your thoughts, scribbles and ideas for the artists here, also any concept art you don't think deserves a thread of its own - Gaspard
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:36:48 PM by Gaspard » Logged
icelus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:58:14 PM »

or even better against a modern background maybe, like a pavement, so the inversion is the broken city inside the normal world, just like the game is... maybe trying to be too clever.
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »

Nah, not trying to be too clever, sounds cool Wink

I PMed Gaspard my ideas about the concept art, but I can't seem to access sent PMs.. weird.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »

yo I got it, want me to post it here ?
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »

Yes, that would be appreciated, so we have more contributions to the ideas thread Smiley

Thank you.
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:02:46 PM »

Quote from: Lamoot
Today most concept art or box covers show people, faces and are really action-packed. They don't capture a great ambient though (imo).

In ye olde days, Box art seemed more artistic and came in many forms and flavours. For example this Dune 2 box art

It's really simple, but tells you everything about the game and the world. You have a desert, you have blue sky and some stuff burning with a thick black smoke in the distance. Nothing else needed - all is said.

Of course you have your artistic freedom, so don't feel constrained by my proposals Smiley

Also here are two tracks that might put you into the post-apoc mood Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV83ggqPML0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFmPnFDit8

All in all a mix of mad max 2, dune 2 and a snowy landscape would be ideal?
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:59:15 PM »

Whoa, it's been two weeks already since that last post. Sadly I can't show you guys any moodshots yet. Schoolwork has been keeping me on my toes and doing any personal painting has been absolutely out of the question. Haven't had time to really keep up with what's going on the forums either.

All that does not mean that PARPG has been out of my thoughts, though. I still keep doing thumbnails and I'm constantly composing something in my head.

Usually, when trying to get into a theme I try to imagine what kind of people or characters would inhabit the place. So I do sketches and drawings of them. To prove that I'm not yet dead and gone from the forums I compiled some of these into a .. a chunk of a picture:

SNOWBALLS !? THE LAST RESORT !

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »

Wow! Looks great to me. I can't tell you how much inspiration I as a coder get from a bunch of graphic art, as I think it's the hardest part of the game - I can write a little, play music and code but my artwork sucks!

Science is open-source religion
Lamoot
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »

Hey Gaspard, great concept art! You really have some drawing skills. Should make for a cool promotional image at barra's blog Smiley and is also very motivational Smiley

We understand real life can get in the way (and is actually a priority) when it comes to hobby projects and we at the P.A.R.P.G. Corporation&Sons ltd. respect that Wink
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:33:34 AM »

bleh. lots of schoolwork  Sad

anyways while working on the thumbnails for a moodshot I kept thinking of this action scene... so today I couldn't help myself and started drawing it. idea was more like man(BOOM-survivor) vs feral beast, but so far has turned out like bum(note the pink earmuffs) vs hungry dog  Angry

EDIT: replaced with newer one in next post

good night guys I'll gladly pass out now
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:07:36 PM by Gaspard » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

Man Against Beast

maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:01:03 PM »

Nobody's responded yet and I know that can be a killer for motivation, so I thought I'd chip in my 2c. I think the artwork is pretty good; I love the slightly ragged and desperate look of the character.

As you can see I'm no art critic, but keep up the good work!

Science is open-source religion
mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »

The pencil drawings look great to me :-) keep up the good work Gaspard. I'll cover your art efforts in the upcoming news update at the blog.
Sirren
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

Just to know: is anybody working/modelling anything based upon these concepts? I'll be able to start something in a couple of weeks. Maybe even less if I'm to simply model.. See you.

Edit
We'll need a few normal animals too, I guess..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:38:11 AM by Sirren » Logged
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »

Hey everyone. I was approached a while back about doing some concept work. Here's a small token of my continued interest as I have been terribly busy of late. I should be able to devote more time to foss art stuff. So lemme know if you guys like it and if I should knock out some more. These are just quick sketches that I made to start feeling out winter post apocalyptic gear.

* PARPGSketches.jpg (66.21 KB, 514x505 - viewed 668 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to: