Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hallucination Effects  (Read 6285 times)
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:34:05 PM »

While talking on IRC, one emerging aspect was that it could be interesting to expand on the in-game drugs.

Obviously, when the world is in a depressed state, reality is harsh, people may turn to drugs. Mushrooms
or whatever or even stats enhancing drugs. Or ones that could cause huge hallucinations like "snow crystal"
Cheesy

Now what could be interesting in that - the actor may experience the world in "another light" while
under drugs. For example, the colours could be adjusted a bit brighter and more colourful.
The music could change a bit too (anyone remembers songs of bob marley eh ...)

Additionally he may have hallucinations while under this effect. This could be that he is getting lost in the snow desert or somewhere else, or finds himself waking up in total strange places unable to remember how he got there.

That could be further extended - this is just a very loose proposal anyway - so have sub-plots which can only be
reached or done when a character is under hallucinations. (But only sub-plots, i think it would be no good to have important quests require anything to do with drugs ...)

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »

While talking on IRC, one emerging aspect was that it could be interesting to expand on the in-game drugs.

Obviously, when the world is in a depressed state, reality is harsh, people may turn to drugs. Mushrooms
or whatever or even stats enhancing drugs. Or ones that could cause huge hallucinations like "snow crystal"
Cheesy

Now what could be interesting in that - the actor may experience the world in "another light" while
under drugs. For example, the colours could be adjusted a bit brighter and more colourful.
The music could change a bit too (anyone remembers songs of bob marley eh ...)

Additionally he may have hallucinations while under this effect. This could be that he is getting lost in the snow desert or somewhere else, or finds himself waking up in total strange places unable to remember how he got there.

That could be further extended - this is just a very loose proposal anyway - so have sub-plots which can only be
reached or done when a character is under hallucinations. (But only sub-plots, i think it would be no good to have important quests require anything to do with drugs ...)

I wouldn't find drug abuse at all strange in the bleak environment of PARPG. Your suggestion about the color brightening and music changes appeals to me. To make the drugs fit in as more than an aesthetic, we could make it so they give very high temporary stat raises (like +25 intelligence or speed) at the cost of a long-term addiction with negative side effects. This would be so the player might be dissuaded from abusing this raise constantly but at the same time would make taking the drug--and would, by coincidence, discover the "secret" work of the musicians and artists--appealing.

As fun as the idea for a player to navigate through their PC's hallucinations sounds, at the moment I don't see how that benefits the storyline or game.

Still a fun idea though.
maximinus
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »

It would be a LOT or work, since (AFAIK) we can't overlay the Fife gfx, so it would at least double the file size of our graphics. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news  Sad

Science is open-source religion
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »

It would be a LOT or work, since (AFAIK) we can't overlay the Fife gfx, so it would at least double the file size of our graphics. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news  Sad
My first thought was along these lines.

It probably is possible to create some aesthetic effects, but it should be kept simple (and IMHO also subtle), no extra tedious programming work.

I'm thinking about changing a word or image sheet, so that the inventory menu is purple, the 9mm gun sprite is replaced by a banana sprite, the "gruesome death" sound is replaced by a recording of a baby's laughter or an often used word is replaced (for example "You see AN ITEM" -> "You strawberries AN ITEM") such changes should be much easier to do and *much* more fun than some annoying eye-cancer color filter Wink .

Stats should be affected by drugs definitely.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:18:21 PM by qubodup » Logged
meinmartini
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »

I'm thinking about changing a word or image sheet, so that the inventory menu is purple, the 9mm gun sprite is replaced by a banana sprite, the "gruesome death" sound is replaced by a recording of a baby's laughter or an often used word is replaced (for example "You see AN ITEM" -> "You strawberries AN ITEM") such changes should be much easier to do and *much* more fun than some annoying eye-cancer color filter Wink .
The victims would bleed marshmallows. Cheesy

Let's fight some ballerinas.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »

I am all for drugs in the game.  I don't think they should typically enhance the players' abilities or at least have much more compensating negative effects than drugs in, for example, Fallout.

I think working in interface mods to handle "drunkenness" would be very very difficult to do in such a way that it enhanced game play.
If we could do it, however, we could also use a similar effect for hunger/thirst/exposure effects.

This should be in the Mechanics forum!  I don't think I have permissions to move it

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 06:57:35 PM »

Yeah move it

Licking mushrooms, here i coooooooooooooome ...... !

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
NineOfHearts
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

The victims would bleed marshmallows. Cheesy

Delicious.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: