Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: General direction before "the end"  (Read 13593 times)
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

Thumbs up for the release. Deadline is quite tight, but I think it's quite possible.

We have to know what to write while releasing. My proposal is to write:
Description (what was the project, how it evolved)
Why it was closed
What parts failed
Scavenge instructions (what can be taken, who did what, what parts are in reusable state)
Possible future of the project

Most important question for now is: who's in for the bumpy ride "after the end", and do you think that's enough crew members to push things forward? Second question is what parts of the big thing should be trimmed down to produce a playable game ASAP? We might as well use the release to regroup and start to build lacking infrastructure without the bloats and caveats that were holding us down. Same with code, docs, everything. Problem is we'll be in best shape starting now, and mending things step by step, using our current resources (docs, communication channels and so on) as a base, rather than waiting for the end of 2012.

I'll be missing the blog, the wiki and the forums mostly. Planet was a great help sometimes, so was our FTP (at least for me it was quite useful). Not sure about where to host all those things, images from the wiki are probably the heaviest. (Not sure about what Arx people are going to do.)

I'm not really sure how to replace the blog, but we could introduce a mailinglists instead of the forums and move important docs (from wiki and forums) into PARPG code tree itself. We should probably empty out codesion and move our "source media files" to a place like OpenGameArt, that will host it and make other projects benefit from it as well. Maybe some writing should go there, I dunno (but who would, in the end?). Trac would probably contribute to "why we've fail" part, dunno if we should keep the tickets, but it's not me to decide.

In the end - well, let's get loud this one time!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:32:35 PM by qubodup » Logged

shevegen
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »

We have plenty of time to finish with lengthy explanations of what failed.

My idea is to make one final effort anyway. Then afterwards we can see whether we have enough people to continue, and even if not, to have a final release (and a final theme too).

Second question is what parts of the big thing should be trimmed down to produce a playable game ASAP?

I don't know either but if I have to name one feature, it would be fighting. We should have a very simple fighting system in place. We could use what everyone else uses too, XP (Experience points) and levels. While it is not the most realistic way, it can be fun to scavenge for XP, and it would be better than the current state of the game. And I think we could easily reach that too, before "final day".

I'd also like to rally and focus EVERYONE on ONE quest. I think the two starting quests worked nicely in the past, lots of different people contributed.

We might as well use the release to regroup and start to build lacking infrastructure without the bloats and caveats that were holding us down.

Yes, but I think we need to focus a lot more, rebrand the game, put a focus. I think the code of the game should be the main focus for everyone, even if they are not coders. Just so that they get the general "feel" of how things progress.

Docs will easily follow, they are easier than code.

I'll be missing the blog, the wiki and the forums mostly.

Yup, forum was fun. Wiki too, using mediawiki. What I disliked was that these two were somewhat disconnected.
It makes it hard to know what is current, and what is outdated. I think t here should have been regular checks, and throw away what is too old. Legacy is a bad thing IMHO.

Not sure about where to host all those things, images from the wiki are probably the heaviest. (Not sure about what Arx people are going to do.)

I guess the code logic can be easily hosted on a github repository too.

I'm not really sure how to replace the blog, but we could introduce a mailinglists instead of the forums

Hmm, mailing list is bad ... I can't cope with them.

Trac would probably contribute to "why we've fail" part, dunno if we should keep the tickets, but it's not me to decide.

I'd say to get rid of it. Trac is nice, but we have too many tickets and not enough coders. We need to more rapidly decide on tickets. If tickets are too old, I think they should be closed. Sounds harsh but I think this is better than 3 years old ticket noone will bother to close.

In the end - well, let's get loud this one time!

Yeah!

FINAL DAY ARTWORK TOO!

Cleaning away the bureaucracy in PARPG to make our life easier.
skeet70
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »

Hey sorry if this is out of place since I haven't introduced myself before, but I'm interested in helping out with this project as soon as midterms are finished up (computer science). Just thought I'd throw in a hearty +1 for both github and having some sort of centralized discussion/current state, going through the wiki has gotten a bit confusing as to where the project is at the moment.

Refocusing seems like a great thing from my glance of the project, a more direct current goal and such would certainly help get things moving and/or wrapped up. Seems like you guys actually have decent amount of people working on this compared to other projects like this that I've looked into, just need to get focused enough to be achieving little things that keep the momentum going.

Just my two cents as someone who is completely ignorant of whats actually going on Wink
h3X
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »

If someone is still interested in keeping this project from crashing I would be very interested in lending a hand at coding. I'll be finishing my exams in early June and will have a lot of free time. I will probably quit school to care for my son full time for a while, so much coding time can be had. I'm currently in college (computer science).
skeet70
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »

It really looks like the project is frozen as is. If you'd like to help out though I would suggested taking a look at Beliar's fife module or just helping out with fife in general.
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »

Just my two cents (or whatever you guys use where you live):

The project isn't "frozen". It's being actively ceased, and that's a major difference. It'll vanish by the end of this year (that's the plan - of course a miracle may happen), so nobody is pushing things forward for a good reason. We planned to release our "final version" and summarize our achievements, failures and personal experiences to wrap up the project completely before closing.

We have to change it heavily to be able to continue after that, current development model doesn't seem to work properly. Leave behind some lead weight, throw away all the excess baggage, take some stuff we like, and some souvenirs maybe, and start a new adventure (or quit the journey). I know what Beliar tackles into the future is our code. I see him programming steadily for a good couple of years now, and I must say I'm really impressed with what he has done so far. If you want to code what will be a game, or a game module, in the future - I'd say help him.

In two months from now I'll try to break into our cashed artwork and scavenge whatever is scattered around forums, and move it (whatever is re-usable) to OGA. It will be probably my last major contribution - not really to the project, but to it's authors. (of course I'll help with the last release as well).

qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »

The project isn't "frozen". It's being actively ceased, and that's a major difference.
I think this is a good thing.

In two months from now I'll try to break into our cashed artwork and scavenge whatever is scattered around forums, and move it (whatever is re-usable) to OGA. It will be probably my last major contribution - not really to the project, but to it's authors. (of course I'll help with the last release as well).
I would love to assist you on this, if I can be of use! I will tell my calendar to bug you in two month's time unless you ask for my assitance first. Smiley
qubodup on freenode, but often not paying attention, feel free to just write: qubodup@gmail.com

(before reading this, I uploaded http://opengameart.org/content/zippo-click-sound )
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:59:37 PM by qubodup » Logged
skeet70
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »

The project isn't "frozen". It's being actively ceased, and that's a major difference.

I realize this, and I think it's good as well. My "frozen" word usage was in relation to the code, which was what he was asking about. Beliar has essentially forked portions of the code into a separate project, but the code for the project has essentially been "frozen" in it's current state, i.e. it is no longer actively developed.

Just so you guys know, considering my lack of experience with fife/nuts-and-guts game programming in python and the "ceasing" of the project, I've decided to try to pull some of the concepts from this game and make a RubyOnRails or Django webapp game (like Die2Nite or similar), since that's my expertise. Hopefully I can be true to the spirit of this game, and make something everyone would enjoy playing! After having that experience I may be more qualified to help beliar out or something, I just don't think I have enough experience with all the components to really help him out right now.
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »

EDIT: the blend (etc) files that we need to backup on OGA are at:

http://parpg-svn.cvsdude.com/parpg/branches/media/

Code:
svn co http://parpg-svn.cvsdude.com/parpg/branches/media/ parpg-media-sources

PS: I changed the logo on wiki, forum and blog. I can't remember my trac login data and there is no recovery form (not that improtant).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:53:45 PM by qubodup » Logged
qubodup
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

I have started backing up 2d art etc:
http://wiki.parpg.net/Gallery
http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=parpg

In the process I discovered some gorgeous art that hasn't been put on our gallery. Backed it up too.

To get the repo with the .blend files:
Code:
svn co http://parpg-svn.cvsdude.com/parpg/branches/media/
Q_x
Admin
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »

I'm slowly scraping 3D artwork and moving it to OGA.

I can't find any contact to Infrared, our artist who did some brilliant models. Would be great if I'll be able to e-mail him.

Oil Tank, Rusty Barrel, Watch Tower and Water Tower were made by Continuum. Those are wonderful pieces, but there are some licensing issues, described on our forums: http://forums.parpg.net/index.php?topic=234 . For me the deal is rather simple - avoid those works with licensing problems. If I'll put only untextured models to OGA, it's barely any profit for anyone. And I can hardly recall seeing it anywhere but in forums (they're not available in game's rendered scenery) so I have to assume none of the problems were solved.

EDIT:
I think the work is finished, more or less. I went through repo models and my personal belongings. Also, I've mailed Infrared, who happens to be freedroid contributor, but I got no reply, so I'll leave the things as they are. I assume this part of work is done.

I'm still not sure what to do with our written goods, I guess we have some time to wait, and maybe any of our writers will be interested in saving those somewhere, publishing as short stories somewhere, who knows.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:17:15 PM by Q_x » Logged

ffffttt
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »

I really wish I could help you, but I have no idea what the problem could be.

Can you run the fife demos?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:07:35 AM by Q_x » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: