Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [WIP/Inspiration] TechDemo Maquette  (Read 12017 times)
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »

Hello there.

My first real post here at PARPG and didnt really know where to put this. So here will have to do.

Anyways after a vist to the IRC and a talk i got into the project proper by pulling apart the area the techdemo is based in - and was given -  http://wiki.parpg.net/Draft:Techdemo_Quests to look at

Now there is a HUGE amount of info in there and the author really put in a ton of stuff. It's completely what artist needs to work well.

But it took me ages to bundle it up and get a clear picture of the layout and what the intent was. So what i have done is complie all that data into a mock up image of the techdemo area.

Hopefully this might help other newbies like myself to hit the ground running and be more aware of things like scale and location.

The odjects that are in these images are just place holders nothing more. and to give a flavour/idea of what i think the autour was intending.

So anyways hope it helps
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:53:26 PM by Gaspard » Logged
JustinOperable
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 07:28:11 AM »

Wow, this is really, really cool.

Seeing it like this makes me hope someday this game gets sophisticated enough to have some sort of opening shot animation, swooping from on high down into the mall area, with something crazy going on, like a raid or something.

It really gives a sense of place to Zenbits descriptions.
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »

super cool EGO, very much what I intended.

Some minor points - we already talked about the glass/plastic roof over the farm (to make a greenhouse).  The other thing I was thinking was that the farm was a "level down" and accessible from the loading dock at the back of the supermarket... Maybe you caught that, but it's hard to tell.

Another point I totally forgot... since it's in Finland and likely to get lots of snow (even pre-apocalypse).. .and the roofs are likely NOT flat.  In particuarly the snow can't pile up on the greenhouse, it would block the sun.

There are some other solutions as well (roof access + regular sweep and shovelings??)

But still, fantastic.

We are not denying them an ending...
We are denying them a DISNEY ending - Icelus
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 02:51:59 AM »

Thanks Justin Smiley

Zen : okay doky - i've stuck the glass back on for you.

The farm is on a lower level might not be clear due to the monotone image. but if you look at the second last image (first post) you can see the side ramp up into the supermarket which is street level.

I can change it if you pefer something else, thats the point of these Smiley so we can mess with the composition.

Now the snow weight issue. Well i can safely say the building roofs wont cave to anything unless you plan to park an iceberg up there. Even corragated sheet metal will safely hold a few stone before it fails and that would be due to cold + wieght making it brittle. These buildings look as if it's an asphalt/tar roof which tends to means reinforced concrete, which will hold up to massive compression loads. I did have a look on google earth tho to see and finlands industry zones do have flat roofs too so i think we are in the clear.

the glass is a different tho it would be in need of clearing. Just let us know if you want anything changed out Smiley

Oh and was thinking what about a massive wind farm on the roof too?   Could make it that bit more retro
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:58:23 AM by EGO » Logged
Gaspard
Community member

The Blackest Heart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:54:18 AM »

Whoa, awesome indeed.

The obligatory question: what do you use for making these ?
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »

yeah, with you on the major warehouse roofs, a few feet of snow stacked on the isn't going to matter.

I can clearly see the farm is on the correct level now.

Maybe the glass roof could "angle back" from the top of the inn down a story.... so the snow would slide off the back...

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »

EGO mentioned that he created these concepts with sketch up Gaspard:
http://sketchup.google.com/
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »

Cheers Gaspard.

Yup Googlesketchup is the program. It's designed for 2d artists (people with little modelling exp) so the interface is increably simple. It's not as powerful as blender/maya/etc but it's only for 3d visual aids,

That siad you can export as Obj files if you buy the proffessional pack and the newer versions keep building in new features. Well worth a look if your keen on modellig but not looking for a heavy learning curve,theres a million youtube tutorials on it too. My frist look at 3d modeling was maya which put me off for awhile until i found this. I've started to play with blender too see if i can help out making gubbins like buckets!

Zen: yup, sure i can do that for you. what do you want happen at the far side where the ramp is. I left i open before. I could cap it all off and use scaffold under it and some cat walks along the top leading of the roof so it can be cleared

Also the outer side would be exposed too looking to just cap that with glass to?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:45:51 AM by EGO » Logged
EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »

Good call zen looks way better
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »

It begs the question how the hell a bunch of survivor types made that in the throws of post WWIII devastation... but it does look right.    Maybe for the ingame version we can try to make it look more ad-hoc and jury rigged.

EGO
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »

yeah, that had crossed my mind... only thing i could come up with was if your willing to give up glass for plastic, Heavy industrial plastic would be at the supermarket in abundance to warp pallettes etc. It might actually preform better than glass as it's flexability affords it some move in high winds and it wont break. It will howevefr hold even less wieght that glass and tear. so constant repairs would have to happen on a daily basis even.

Yorum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »

It will howevefr hold even less wieght that glass and tear. so constant repairs would have to happen on a daily basis even.

Not exactly on daily basis. My father made a plastic see tru roof for an archway over 6 years ago. No repairs needed so far.

Big brother also made a such a cover to his balcony about 3 years ago, and only thing that needed repair was the screwholes. He holed them into wrong places and because of that, water could drip tru. Only thing that was needed was some sealing glue.

Edit. Forgot to write the point -.-'

So as far as I know, changing the glass into plastic is realistic and doesn't need any additional backstory to justify it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:23:50 AM by Yorum » Logged
Continuum
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

Good stuff! Maybe whole location should be designed and created in one uber large scene, and next rendered in gazillions of "passes", to keep nice consistency and to not left any freedom for mapping guys  Grin
zenbitz
Community member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 02:08:57 AM »

plastic is fine!  I originally was thinking of like clear plastic flexible "bag" material...but of course that is hardly weather proof.

mvBarracuda
Admin
Community member

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:15 AM »

No need to worry Continuum, such mock ups can be great inspriation for us all and the 3d modelers still got the freedom to model their interpretation of these objects. The reason why EGO created these mock ups is that one 3d modeler asked for such sketches to get some inspiration how to model them.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: